GAR Foundation Awards More Than $1.6 Million to Akron-Area Nonprofits
GAR Foundation is thrilled to announce it has awarded $1,670,710 in grants to Akron organizations at its May grant distribution meeting. This round of funding included proactive grants to support summer learning at the YMCA and Boys & Girls Clubs for Akron Public Schools’ students.
“We are pleased to announce this support and provide funding for our nonprofit community and innovative partnerships, like the summer partnership strategy between the YMCA, the Boys & Girls Clubs, and Akron Public Schools. Together, they will ensure that APS students have an enriching, engaging, fun summer, which they certainly deserve after the challenges COVID has brought,” said Christine Mayer, president of GAR Foundation.
Additionally, the Early Childhood Resource Center (ECRC) received a grant of $204,910 to provide SPARK: Supporting Partnerships to Assure Ready Kids. SPARK is an evidence-based home visiting program that supports parents in helping their children to be ready for kindergarten, learning basic literacy skills for success in school. The ECRC is the region’s state-designated Child Care Resource & Referral agency and is GAR’s primary partner for delivering STARS: Supporting Teachers & Ready Students, the foundation’s successful four-year early childhood professional development initiative. The ECRC is opening an additional office in Akron next month.
In other critical strategic focus areas, local arts convener ArtsNow received a $125,000 grant for its work to advance and advocate for the arts and culture sector in Summit County. Asian Services in Action was awarded $50,000 for operations in supporting the basic needs of Akron’s immigrant population, and Community Legal Aid received $35,000 for its strategic efforts to offer affordable legal services to low-income Akron residents.
Other organizations receiving support this quarter include:
- Akron Area YMCA, Summer programming with APS – $58,300
- Akron Art Museum, Operating support – $125,000
- Akron Urban League, Operating support – $25,000
- ArtsNow, Operating support – $125,000
- Asian Services in Action (ASIA), Operating support – $50,000
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Northeast Ohio-Akron, $85,000 for operations and $5,000 for summer programming with APS
- Center for Applied Theatre and Active Culture, Operating support – $7,500
- Community Legal Aid, Operating support – $35,000
- ConxusNEO, Operating support – $125,000
- Early Childhood Resource Center, for SPARK – $204,910
- Emmanuel Christian Academy, STEAM Academy Summer Enrichment – $50,000
- Family & Community Services, Operating support for Mobile Meals – $60,000
- Groundwork Ohio, Operating support – $25,000
- GroundWorks DanceTheater, Operating support – $30,000
- Junior Achievement of North Central Ohio, Program support for Akron Public School – $50,000
- Kenmore Neighborhood Alliance, Operating support – $20,000
- Leadership Akron, Operating support – $20,000
- Musical Arts Association, Blossom Music Festival – $50,000
- Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) Foundation, Bench to Bedside program – $20,000
- Project Learn of Summit County, Operating support – $60,000
- Shelter Care, Operating support for Safe Landing shelter – $30,000
- South Street Ministries, Operating support – $35,000
- Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, Operating support – $30,000
- Stark State College Foundation, Healthcare upskilling – $50,000
- Students with a Goal (SWAG) Operating support – $30,000
- Western Reserve Historical Society, Operating support for Hale Farm & Village – $35,000
For more information contact Rob Lehr, [email protected].