GAR Foundation awards more than $1.5 million to Akron-area nonprofits
Akron, Ohio (August 18, 2022) GAR Foundation awarded more than $1.5 million in grants to Akron nonprofit organizations at its August distribution meeting. This quarter, the Foundation focused significant funding on education, including support to Child Guidance & Family Solutions.
Child Guidance & Family Solutions received a grant of $100,000 for their Toddlers and Preschoolers Succeeding (TAPS) program. The TAPS program, now in its 14th year, is currently in 25 Akron childcare centers and serves more than 300 teachers and 1,000 students.
“TAPS is a proven program that reaches our youngest community members, helping their teachers to understand and manage behavioral issues so that the kids will stay on a successful path,” stated GAR Foundation Senior Vice President Kirstin Toth.
The Foundation also granted $450,000 to United Way of Summit & Medina in support of its education-focused Bold Goals.
In total, GAR Foundation awarded $600,000 to the education sector. “We know how much teachers are doing for students in the wake of Covid, and we’re happy to provide critical support where it can make a difference through the work of our key partners,” said Toth.
The Foundation continued its use of multi-year grants, awarding them to six grantees this quarter. “Providing multiyear support to grantees that are aligned with our mission means there’s more time to do the work that will impact the community. And that’s a good thing,” said President Christine Amer Mayer.
The Foundation awarded the following grants:
- Akron-Canton Foodbank, $160,000 for multi-year support for operations
- Akron Soul Train, $20,000 for operations
- Art Resources Transformations dba Curated Storefront, $20,000 for operations
- Asian Services in Action, Inc., $110,000 for multi-year support for operations
- Child Guidance & Family Services, $100,000 for TAPS
- Downtown Akron Partnership, $95,000 for operations
- Greater Akron Musical Association $160,000 for multi-year support for operations
- Groundwork Ohio, $50,000 for operations
- Haven of Rest Ministries, $50,000 for multi-year support for operations
- Heart to Heart Communications, $20,000 for operations
- LINKS Community & Family Services, $45,000 for operations
- North Hill Community Development Corporation, $70,000 for operations
- Ohio Shakespeare Festival, $20,000 for operations and board development
- Open Tone Music, $60,000 for multi-year support for operations
- Progressive Alliance Community Development Corporation, $40,000 for operations
- Summit Artspace, $25,000 for operations
- United Way of Summit & Medina, $450,000 for Bold Goals 1 and 2
- Weathervane Community Playhouse, $100,000 for multi-year support for operations