We concentrate a portion of our resources on three interconnected, high-need areas in Akron. In conjunction with key partners, we co-create metrics and tactics that drive toward root causes and long-term solutions. We believe real change is possible at the intersections of these areas:
Early Childhood Education
Goal: 80% of Akron children are Kindergarten ready by 2022.
- Improve transitions from early learning to Kindergarten settings
- Strengthen high quality adult-child interactions
- Empower and engage families to be their child’s first and best teacher
Goal: Akron Public Schools students experience high-quality teaching and engaged learning to be college and career ready.
- Support the development of College and Career Academies of Akron
- Support quality out-of-school-time learning experiences
- Support school investment in high-quality teacher professional development
Economic & Workforce Development
Goal: Improve Akron’s economic health as evidenced by a decrease in poverty, and an increase in the median household income and family-sustaining jobs.
- Help to design a high-functioning network of economic and workforce development providers whose work is driven by shared goals, defined roles, accountability for outcomes, and a single data platform
- Support implementation of the network design for economic and workforce development in Akron
- Encourage Akron’s growing entrepreneurial ecosystem, as evidenced through population-serving businesses, creative placemaking, and neighborhood development