Community Program grants are awarded to organizations and programs that foster the needs of Akron’s residents and fall within our three primary areas of giving.
Grantmaking Focus: The most basic human needs of Akron residents in crisis.
GAR supports high-functioning organizations that are working at scale to:
Distribute food from the regional hub to food pantries and to other organizations who serve the hungry.
Provide emergency shelter and services to people in crisis.
Meet the basic needs of Akron’s immigrant and refugee population.
Arts & Culture
Grantmaking Focus: The contribution of arts and culture to Akron’s identity as a vibrant, unique, and creative community.
- Support high-quality, relevant anchor arts and culture institutions across a diverse range of art forms that will appeal to Akron’s population
- Allocate some resources to emerging artists and innovative arts and cultural initiatives.
- Invest in the overall health and growth of the arts and culture sector by supporting quality sector infrastructure.
Nonprofit Sector Leadership
Grantmaking Focus: The leadership capacity and effectiveness of Akron’s nonprofit sector.
- Support initiatives that build skills of nonprofit leaders and volunteers.
- Support information-sharing efforts that increase knowledge and understanding of the nonprofit sector.