GAR Foundation is located in the historic Andrew Jackson House.
The Andrew Jackson House was built in in 1868 as the private residence of Akron lumber magnate Andrew Jackson. It was then sold to John Johnson for his residence in 1910 and later in 1918, it was sold to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, a service fraternity that sought to use it as their temple. The house was used by Odd Fellows for seventy years until it was sold to an individual in 1988.
For the next twenty years, the house sat vacant as the owner tried to convert it into a coffeehouse for University of Akron students. The renovation never came to fruition; the house fell into significant disrepair and homeless men and women who occupied the house built fires on its floors and even used some of its historic trim as fuel to keep warm.
In 2006 the building was condemned for multiple code violations. In 2007, The Chesler Group, a Cleveland-based historic property-solutions company, acquired the house to renovate it as a commercial building for GAR Foundation. The property was fully restored by 2009. Although virtually all systems and components are new, many notable features of the 1868 building remain, including the quarter sawn oak floors, solid walnut doors, and unique cast bronze hinges. Over 100 construction workers were employed on the project
- The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- It features 15,585 square feet of Class A office space on four finished floors plus a mezzanine level.
- The project is among the first to receive both the State of Ohio and Federal historic tax credits. The renovation complies with historic standards set forth by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
The Andrew Jackson House ballroom is available only to non-profit organizations wishing to host meetings and events. It is not available for private parties or for-profit organizations. Please read the Ballroom Fact Sheet before contacting us to request a Ballroom Rental Application. Contact Lisa Yates at 330.576.2916.